Ply Bulkhead replacement
Affected by a poor initial design and exacerbated by perished silicone sealant around the shower tray, the lower edges of the bulkhead in this shower compartment best resembled a small compost heap.
Here we cut out the old wood to a point where there was no water ingress and cut a wide scarf joint in the remaining bulkhead. We then made a new lower section of bulkhead, shaped it to fit the hull, cut the other half of the scarf joint and screwed and glued it into place using West System epoxy resin. Once this had set, we sealed the bulkhead to the hull using fibreglass and resin and rebuilt the shower compartment.
The bulkheads were skinned using 3mm PVC hygienic plastic sheeting in blue to waterproof the shower area.